Tuesday 28 February 2017

SB1 Book Design Development

I have decided to go with the second initial idea to develop as I feel it is the strongest idea in terms of the meaning behind the design.


The first change I made was redrawing the illustrations to be more detailed and precise, also using a specific flower mentioned in the book for inspiration - Azaleas. A staple flower of the south and are symbolic of Miss Maudie. I kept with the yellow and grey however changed it to be more stylistic using bold rectangle shapes contrasting each other.


Going forward with this design I decided that the above is a bit too messy and you wouldn't know where to look. The layout needs a lot of work but I think the type and illustrations themselves go together well. I also believe that the yellow and grey could do with a rethink so I am going to try out black and white to show the coexistence of good and evil in the novel.


I decided to strip back with this design and see if it could work with just the bird on the front with the small typeface below reading the author and book title. The back features the flower illustration I drew without any text as I wanted to focus on the design mainly before adding type. 


Another variation of the design without type to see what works best colour wise and layout - the main focus being on the flower symbol which I believe to be more effective and relevant to this brief than the cliched mocking bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment