Friday 2 November 2018

SB1: Revisit Micro-genre

The original brief:

Your task is to thoroughly research a micro-genre of music from this website. This research should be extensive, with the intention that you become an expert in the genre. This micro-genre will become the focus for the design and production of a new piece of work to be publicly exhibited.

Design an object that celebrates (or critiques) an aspect of genre's specific characteristics: political, aesthetic, production methods, audience demographic, key intentions or its connection to place.

In what sense do these micro-genres help us understand some wider issues about the society that created them?

I have decided that it would be most interesting for me and I could produce the best outcomes by looking at music genres that I listen to myself. The main genres I listen to are:
dance/ electronic
hip hop/ rap
techno
disco
alternative r&b
neo soul
lofi house

Out of these genres I believe the most interesting would either be:

disco it has tonnes of history and stories, and it has recently made a come back with the younger generations

lofi house it is an upcoming genre with a lot of exciting new djs

I also believe both of these genres are correctly defined and any artist described as either would be accurate and you would know what to expect. Whereas with genres such as hip hop, or dance/ electronic the genre is so broad and artists so many they could be falsely defined and what you hear doesn't sound anything similar to the next artist. Disco is defined by the movement and the time in which the music came out - like a trend, and lofi is defined by the actual production and sound of the music.

I focused on and became an expert in Disco, creating a user guide to the genre. Below is the finished product:






The manual was printed on a3, with a poster on the reverse side that people could hang on their walls. Although I was happy with the finished design of the manual, I could've improved the printing. This was down to not leaving enough time for this aspect of the design process.

For this new brief, I am going to look at a different genre of music and produce a final piece strong in both design and production. 

No comments:

Post a Comment