Wednesday 7 November 2018

SB1: Poster Development

The content for the first poster will be:
  • youre all invited
  • "party at ours"
  • friday 22nd march, 9pm onwards
  • spring opening
  • ticket price and venue addres
  • lineup and venue name

I opened Adobe Illustrator and started to experiment with the content and layout. The posters below are rough ideas of what the poster could look like, before colour and different typeface choices were added. I played around with the skyline of Chicago and checkered prints, as well as a record disc illustration.







Out of all of the different layouts, the one I think is strongest and could be developed further is number 5. Below is number 5 developed, adding a checkered pattern as a border for the information as well as a circle around the spring opening to imitate a sticker. 


From this initial design, I decided to make the poster stand out more and be a lot more interesting to look at, whilst keeping with the Chicago house theme. I did this by adding some colour for vibrancy and some different typefaces. Colours I will play around with are reds, yellows and blacks - these were most popular through research on the posters and record designs. 

 

Helvetica, Marker Felt, Roboto Slab. After making the changes in Adobe Illustrator, I saved the poster as a png and imported to Adobe Photoshop - in here I added a crumpled paper effect to give it the authentic poster feel. 


 I asked for feedback from my peers on the poster design and received the following:
  • try the disc illustration at the bottom of the poster or perhaps remove it all together
  • change the spring opening sticker to either just black and white - there is a bit too much going on in comparison to the posters in your visual research
  • the typefaces all work really well together and the sizes you've chosen produce a good design hierarchy
Upon getting this feedback I further experimented with the areas mentioned.



I tried a few different colours for the circle and for the text above, and decided the best option is to keep it simple with a white background and black text - the checkered pattern and orange could be mistaken for New York style. 


Above is experimentation with moving the disc illustration and also adjusting the position of the ticket info and venue address. 

No comments:

Post a Comment