Wednesday 27 September 2017

SB1 Research 02

As the photographs I will be using are in the family I would consider them primary research, I am also going to gather information and memories from the travels but in addition to this I will research some of the things pictured using the internet. In the photo albums the places they visited are clearly named and I can therefore look up and research information about them. For example:


I have also decided to research into other similar photo books that may exist so that I can both get inspiration as well as make sure my product is unique in itself. 



I found a few books for Bali that contain mainly photos but as you can see the majority of books about Bali, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Fiji are travel guides. The main selling point of my book will be the beautiful photographs - with the odd paragraph of information. 


I continued to search for books that are more focused on the photography and came across this book which is part of a trilogy. 


I found the photographers website and discovered he lives in Hong Kong but was born in Munich, Germany.

The focus of the german photographer michael wolf’s work is life in mega cities. Many of his projects document the architecture and the  vernacular culture of metropolises. Wolf grew up in Canada, Europe and the United States, studying at uc berkeley and at the folkwang school with otto steinert in essen, Germany. He moved to Hong Kong in 1994 where he worked for 8 years as contract photographer for stern magazine.  since 2001, wolf has been focusing on his own projects, many of which have been published as books.


I really like the style of his website with the small thumbnails at the bottom and photographs large with not much around taking attention away. All of the research on the internet has been helpful to see what is out there however I now need to go into shops such as Waterstones, Urban Outfitters and WH Smith to actually look inside photo books to learn about layout and what works.





No comments:

Post a Comment