Wednesday 11 January 2017

405 University of Leeds Wayfinding

The first thing I looked at was the redesign of the University of Leeds way finding system, they conducted a two year study and came to the conclusion the system was in need of an overhaul. It was suggested that The University should adopt a new system which would not directly be based on the existing identity, which drew on a dark green - making elements naturally hard to see.



One of the most important design decisions to be made is what colours I will use, they have to be legible together and I definitely want them to make the signs stand out. As there is already a website for the capital of culture bid I thought I would choose some of the colour schemes from here to start with.
Using two different colours that are opposite on the colour wheel allow the text to stand out compared to your standard black or navy on white paper. I believe this is an effective way to be playful and daring yet the result still look good and professional if carried out correctly.



Above are the guidelines for the typefaces used in the signage, one main font is to be used for all general signage, with the italic version used for a specific 'you're here' on the map. I would like to use one font fundamentally for all text excluding main headers; for the names of places I would like to choose a font relevant and edit it to suit my needs, the font will be consistent throughout. The font for any information and pointers to where someone is will be something easy to read in case of chunks of text.





Above are a few examples of the colours used on the bid for Capital of Culture 2023 website, these colour combinations work well in standing out however I believe they could compliment each other more - I believe the navy on orange is the easiest to read with the bright blue on maroon being most difficult. Dark on light is usually more eligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment