Sunday 23 October 2016

Studio Brief 01 - Evaluation

Logotype Evaluation:

The brief was to design a series of logotypes for a rebrand of my given company - a company made up by myself based on a random word given to us. I started by doing research into my word ‘Moonless’ and the typefaces that we could use to create the logotype. I was only allowed to experiment with type, scale, spacing, contrast, alignment, shape and colour - this was restrictive as most coffee companies use illustrations in their branding as I discovered from my research. My target audience was students and young professionals on the go, the coffee shop would be somewhere people stop off quickly on the way to elsewhere rather than a comfortable place to sit around in. Originally I had the idea of  an independent coffee shop, who’s coffee is that good you don’t need to add milk ‘as dark as a night without the moon’ a loose connection I made because I wanted a more original idea for the word rather than for a night club or something easily relatable. However as I went forward with the design process I felt a chain coffee shop was more of suitable brand for what I had created, perhaps because of the use of the circle and simplicity of just the M representing the whole company - it is something you can see sticking out on a sign in the high street which I find a success. In my other designs with just the word I think the simplicity of the changes in the glyphs such as shortening the ‘l’ and cutting off the top of ‘M’ along with close kerning were effective enough to create a company identity.


 I believe the logo does portray what I was aiming for however if I was to continue to work on this project I would create some physical mock ups on cups, think about how the sign would work in the real word, whether it would be painted or printed. Explore the use of moons to create the o’s more maybe making different shapes for different seasons, or different colours. Overall I think this has been a successful brief however I could have done with a bit more development on my initial ideas to create a more varied and distinct response to the brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment