Friday 28 October 2016

Studio Brief 02 - Typeface Design (Crit feedback)

For the crit I had the two initial rationales for the fonts I had chosen to explore on my screen and left a few questions for people to answer in order to gain insight into other peoples views on the word majestic & my font options.






The questions I left were;

  1. Should I take a challenge and transform Helvetica or stick with Bodoni?
  2. What words do you relate to majestic?
  3. What would you us a typeface described as majestic for?
I want to ensure that the idea I have for the purpose of the typeface makes sense and people think similarly. 




I agree with the comment about Helvetica being different to repurpose, most brands that use it want quite a neutral look, with the target market being broad however a majestic typeface will be used alot more selectively and therefore I believe a serif is definitely a better option.

I think it will be really interesting to explore the existing features of Bodoni and enhance, along with manipulate them to fit the purpose.

The visual sketch by the adjectives of a little crown is exactly what I think of myself when someone says majestic so I will explore this idea further.

All of my feedback agrees with the idea of it being used for a title, decorative purposes as supposed to big blocks of text, so with this in mind I can play around with the thin and thick strokes as the readability doesn't have to be as essential as if it was being used for large bodies of text. I am going to create the typeface in lowercase, although most titles are in upper I think lower has a lot more potential to be majestic and intricate, in comparison to uppercase; however I may produce a select few letters in Uppercase to demonstrate.

From here I am going to start developing ideas and sketches, being both extreme and subtle within the typeface and free hand. I will sketch the obvious such as glyphs including crowns and jewels etc the stereotypical and see what I can get from that as usually experimentation is valuable and real ideas can be drawn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment