Friday 6 October 2017

SB1 Publication Layout Research

As the book is an A-Z guide, the standard layout that makes sense to use is a double page spread including the letter, information and pictures. Generally the letter itself is large so as soon as you're on the page it is visible and obviously as they are used to teach children the alphabet it has to be memorable - bright colours and bold font. I want to pull from this kind of design in the ways that suit the purpose of the book, as well as turning the 'children learn the a-z' type of book into something teenagers and adults want to buy.


Above is the pages for the letter B from 'Dr Seuss' ABC' it features large type size and only two different colours of text - to differentiate between upper and lowercase without the page being too busy. I think that the minimal design works well as it includes only what is necessary so that it is easy to understand and doesn't test children's attention span. For my guides target audience being teenagers and adults of all ages and from all backgrounds, it has to be easily understood in terms of large clear text however can include more than what would be for children. I also want to include photographs to further support the text context. As Glastonbury is such a diverse festival I want to show this through use of colour and vibrancy through the guide.

figure 1


figure 2

As I spoke about on the Glastonbury research blog I don't want to take much from the actual design of the festival other than the use of colour. Therefore I will be looking elsewhere for guidance on things such as type and layout. As the main focus of the festival is music I will look at music publications and posters that are current now and aimed towards both young people and adults in venues around the country. From personal experience I know that most genres of music are appreciated by both old and young as I have similar interests to my parents therefore the music industry style is hitting all audiences. Above are some examples of publications and posters listing and discussing up and coming artists, I feel the style of all the design works very well to attract attention whilst keeping it minimal and easy to read.

Figure 1 - Out of all the research above this is my favourite as it is straight to the point, it clearly states the name of the promotor, the date of the seasons and then neatly lists the acts in a bold sans serif typeface that is very easy to read, especially against the pale pink background. I believe the subtle use of colour works well without having very bright colours shouting in your face however as I do want to communicate diversity and fun in my guide it would not be a suitable technique for me. 

Figure 2 - Thinking about how I want to use colour this poster is a good one to consider, there is a clear use of multiple colours however it doesn't seem to busy as it is all in the background, with clear white and black text. For the layout of the guidebook I will consider adding bursts of colour in ways that aren't too distracting. 


After looking at music related design I decided to go back to the A-Z theme and look at a the layout design of a book I have called 'The A-Z of Visual Ideas'. I believe this to be relevant as it is an a-z guide for adults, giving tips advice and ideas. Similar to the Glastonbury guide it's purpose is to help and inspire people to open their eyes and be experimental, doing new things and pushing boundaries - like going to a festival for the first time or going to new areas to listen to music out of your normal genre and trying new food in one of Glastonbury's many independent vendors. The design is clean and concise, with the major focus on photographs to back up the text which is the lesser component to the pages. The letters of the alphabet are considerably larger than the copy text and include a smaller example of something that will feature on the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment