Friday 11 November 2016

Studio Brief 02 - Final Design & Type Rationale

So this is the final design for my Majestic typeface, as you can see some of the glyphs are the same as the digital development 03 however some have been further edited such as the A, D, O and Q as I felt they needed more work. I am pleased with my final result and believe that the subtle changes actually make a big difference in conveying the adjective I chose. The words I used to describe the typeface in the end were regal, sublime and decorative I chose these because they relate well to majestic and decorative describes what I have added to the original Bodoni typeface. The added brackets and different weights in the letters make for a more interesting and decorative display font.


Above is the final design I decided on to showcase my typeface, I laid out the alphabet so all is visible and then spelt out the word majestic below with the personality traits on top the low opacity adjective. I used black and grey as I feel these are suitable colours for the context I described - high end brands and magazine titles are usually in tame colours such as black, grey or white. 

Rationale

Majestic is a typeface perfect for use in high end brands and magazines that want something more than your typical serif typeface. This typeface features strong bracketed serifs and interesting curves in the letter forms. Derived from the typeface Bodoni Oldstyle it takes that classic and elegant look and builds on it, extending the cap height in cases such as the T and I to allow a better flow with the other letters. All of the small changes make for a softer and more inviting typeface. The typeface was designed with display font is mind, the letters are decorative and won't necessarily work as a body of text for this reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment