Tuesday 1 November 2016

Studio Brief 02 - Typeface Development 02

As I explained in the previous crit blog post, I wanted to explore the ideas of the crown ; the visual sketch by the adjectives of a little crown is exactly what I think of myself when someone says majestic. On the sheet below you can see my exploration of the letter form 'a' adjusting the stroke weight and how the letter connects. As I continue down through the alphabet you can see the transformation of the serifs, how they flow more as brackets.


Then to the right you can see my exploration of the crown idea, I used a print out of Bodoni to trace the rough shape and add a crown where it would be interesting, I originally started with the glyphs close kerning and all sitting on the baseline but adjusted this to fit ascenders and descenders into the mix, in the end I liked the result as it sort of fits together more like an illustration/ picture rather than a boring run of letters. You can see the letters clearer on their own below.


No comments:

Post a Comment