Monday 14 November 2016

Module OUGD403 Evaluation

I have learnt an awful lot in a short time with this module, I believe it has been a really good way to start the course. I have an interest in typography now when I didn’t think or know much about it before hand, I know basic terms, rules and facts about some common typefaces such as when and why they were designed. One of the most substantial things I have learnt throughout this module is skills on Illustrator which has really boosted my confidence, I now know how to develop my work digitally and manipulate type to a certain extent, as well as using shapes and the pen tool effectively in the logotype brief.

I enjoyed both briefs and found them challenging at different stages, for the typeface brief I struggled the most with the manipulation and creating of the end product however had the idea solid from early on, with the help of a lot of research and visual aids I knew what I wanted to do; however with the logotype I struggled to get ideas out and feel my final designs are too similar. I think this is down to my lack of sketching before hand, however I will learn from this now knowing that the best way to start off is definitely using my sketchbook to get out as many ideas as I possibly can, both wacky and practical as you never know where your final idea could stem from. I used sketching a lot more in the typeface brief and therefore had multiple ideas and routes I could take, although some where unsuccessful for this particular brief they could always come into use in my future as a designer. 

So far I think my amount of research has been okay however feel it should be more in the direction of design theories and concepts rather than just finished products and history. I want to expand my horizons on the research front, rather than searching the internet I need to look at more books and watch documentaries and interviews with relevant people.

Something I have found really helpful is having a critique every week, allowing fresh eyes to see my work and pointing things out I couldn’t see myself and to give me new ideas when you’re at a bit of a brick wall, another interesting aspect is being able to see other peoples work and appreciating their approach to the same brief as yourself, they might have a different word or adjective but the process and end product take the same line. The type of critique I have enjoyed most is walking around and leaving feedback as I feel this is the way to get most honest opinions, people aren’t afraid to give constructive criticism because it is anonymous.


I am happy with my final designs for both briefs although would work further on brief 01 if given the chance to have some more diverse ideas as in the real world the client would want more however I do feel my final solution communicates the brand. I believe the subtlety of the adjustments made to create my typeface is key and that it communicates the majestic look I wanted. I have really grown as a designer throughout this module, with the way I think and approach a task, making important design decisions with reason, everything must have meaning and substance to be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment