Friday 18 January 2019

SB2: Publication Design Process



I did some research into the binding technique that Hannah will use - perfect bind, and discovered the best way to avoid content not being seen because of it is to include a larger margin on the inside - specifically 1.91cm. As for the other sides, a standard 1.27cm will do the job.


The publication will be a5 in size and be portrait.


The pages will be facing.







I then experimented with what the guides will be for the document, with a different number of rows and columns to create a modular grid, this will ensure consistency throughout the publication layout and its content.


This is the final modular grid I decided on, there are enough modules so that any size picture and copy will sit nicely in line. 





I also added a 3cm bleed to make sure any content would be printed to the edge of the page and nothing would be cut off if it goes close to the edge, it also allows for any trimming mistakes.


This is the initial design for the front cover, I want the word 'independents' to stand out, that is after all what the publication is focusing on. I tried different boldness of this typeface but couldn't quite make it work, so looked for a different typeface to use. Initially I wanted a sans serif but then explored the use of either a serif or a flared sans serif. I found 'Ivy Mode' and thought it would be perfect for the title. 


Ivy Mode is a flared sans serif with lots of ligatures and extras, it was now just the body type I had to find that would match. Again I struggled to find something that complimented the Ivy Mode, as well as matching the style of contemporary publication I want to achieve. 








I experimented with a number of different typefaces on the contents page, to see what worked as a smaller body type. I finally decided that Avenir Next Condensed Medium was the perfect match. It is simple and doesn't clash with Ivy Mode, easy to read and has a number of different weights available. 


Hannah suggested that we experiment with using colours associated with Leeds - blue and yellow.




I then started to experiment with backgrounds to brighten up the contents page and get ideas for the other section pages. I used the 'Independent' lettering from the front cover to create a pattern - this however wasn't successful as it made it hard to read the contents. 


I then decided to illustrate the pages instead, using Illustrator and a graphic tablet to create fun backgrounds, using the colours of Leeds (yellow and blue). The initial patterns were inspired by Leeds topography, with the others following suit in style and vibrancy. 




I wanted to include something in the cover page and contents page that meant Leeds, but not so obviously, so I begun looking at different types of way Leeds is represented and types of maps. 

Topography Leeds

These pages are examples of what the patterns could look like underneath the copy.



I decided to mock up the pages to get an idea of what they could look like, it is hard to judge how well a layout could work on a flat InDesign page. 



I then started to develop different layouts that could be used in order to hold the content. All of the pages are going to use the modular grid, however I didn't want the same boring layout on each page of name, photo and information - this would not be engaging for the user/viewer so I aim to mix it up with several different layouts, consistent in grid use and typeface but changing layout of photos and copy.




For the photographs that will be included in the publication, I will use colour block overlays in either yellow or blue, to fit with the theme of Leeds colours. I also added a grain/ noise effect for two reasons: it is a contemporary in style thing to do and makes the pages more interesting, and secondly - some of the photographs gathered from research aren't the best resolution (and we don't have the time/ facilities/ money) to go and take some ourselves - the added noise makes the worser quality photographs stand out less.

No comments:

Post a Comment