Monday 21 January 2019

SB2: Hannah's Icon Development

In order to generate ideas for the owl icon, I began by roughly sketching owls from different angles (wings extended, side view, head only), so that I have a clear reference when trying to simplify the image to a pictogram. The who point in the icon is that it needs to be designed in the most simplistic way, but still retain distinguishable features that make it unique to the brand (or publication). 

To ensure that I designed an icon and not just an owl illustration, I set myself a frame constriction in which the owl had to be designed around. The shape restrictions that I chose to implement were:

The images below show my initial rough sketches of the different forms the icon could take. The icon will be used to pinpoint Independents on a map of Leeds inside the publication, as due to the small (A5) dimensions of the book, the icon design should have minimal detail. The way to ensure that I didn't add in too much detail was to establish the defining features of an owl which are:

big eyes
beak 
widows peak (hair line)
wings
ears
The designs either feature just an owls head within a circular frame, or an own head and body in the tear drop shape. Using a teardrop frame would be particularly useful as it replicated an arrow which can easily pin point a location on the map.


Rebeccas Initial Designs

As I've been working on the icon, Rebecca has been working on the cover and the initial lay out design for the publication. I will use the designs she has sent me to inform the development of the icon in terms of colour and shape.



Icon Development

The design below show my developments from my initial sketches. Based on the designs sent by Rebecca, I decided to try and focus the design on a circular frame to reference the circles on the cover. I tried a few different variations however once i'd developed the design with the teardrop frame, it became clear to me that this was the strongest design to develop. Using the colours in Rebecca's initial designs, I experimented to see which looked best (1 solid colour or both). I'll develop this design more after a crit.


 Design Critique

I sent the designs to Rebecca for some quick feedback. She agreed with me that the teardrop shaped icons were the strongest designs and said they fit into the aesthetic of the design she has created. I questioned her on whether the eyes looked too cartoonish, and asked her how far we want the icon to look like a 'character'. I'll develop the design with smaller eyes and reassess how it looks, as the big eyes is what makes it look like a cartoon.



Other Icons

We are splitting the guide into sections which consist of bars and clubs, food, shopping and coffee. I've developed some icon ideas for each of these categories. Apart from one of the shopping bag icons, I've tried to keep the designs as flat and simple as possible, so that they work alongside the aesthetic of the owl icon (above). I prefer the designs that have slightly more character, these are the designs with no fill and 'detail lines' within the illustration. Next time I meet up with Rebecca I'll discuss the ideas and see which are most appropriate for the guide. I'll also select an owl icon from the new developments (shown below), during our next meeting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment