Sunday 14 May 2017

404 Revised Book Designs

I decided to have a more coherent set of designs for the penguin books. To be consistent with design I stuck to using the same type throughout - helvetica regular for the blurb and light for the title/author/publisher. The layout of all the designs match and use the standard marber grid as a base. I decided to stick to two colours for each book, with one remaining the same - Pantone 'Cloud Cream'. I felt this colour would match with most other shades so works as a good base. The illustrations also create the feeling of a set by being put in a pattern covering the front of the book as well as the back, with the use of thick and thin lines. 




I chose 'sky blue' as I thought it relevant to a number of things in the book - for example, it is a summers day when the story opens, Alice cries several times throughout the book (some of which create a sea), as does she drink a number of magic liquids. The illustration I decided to create and pattern is one of the playing card characters - the heart is a member of the Royal family. I considered doing one of each playing card however this would be inconsistent with the other designs featuring only one illustration. 




For this design I took inspiration from other Lolita book designs and their use of the lollipop iconography. I chose a red/pink that is relevant as it is seen as a colour of seduction, this is how Lolita is portrayed in the novel. 




This design utilises the illustration I created for the original book design however I chose a different shade to match the cream colour, as well as a Pantone gold. Pantone colour finder was not something I was aware of at the time of my initial designs, it has proved very useful to me. There was a choice to make between this gold, and the royal blue seen in the original design however I thought the gold was better suited to the contents of the novel - the money present and pure lavish of Gatsby's character. 





No comments:

Post a Comment