Friday 8 March 2019

SB7: Production

As the menu is only a4, it is possible for me to print it myself, rather than using the university resources, in order to print though I would have to order some appropriate paper. I chose a silky touch ultra bright 120gsm, this would ensure the colours come out vivid and the illustration is clear. It is also a quality feel rather than your typical 70gsm printer paper. 


I was pleased with the result in print quality for a mockup, and pleased with the feel of the paper and how it reads.


In order for me to print, I had to reorder the book on InDesign in terms of what pages are next to each other on a spread. This is because the print booklet feature on InDesign requires a printer capable of printing double sided which mine is not. I had done this with the first design so wasn't difficult. There was however a change in pages, I had to rearrange and delete some in order for the publication to be in multiplication of 4, it was previously 10, now 8. 



I decided to try binding the menu, comprising of 2 a4 pieces of paper with double sided tape, I thought it could look sleek and produce a seamless menu design. I tried it out, as you can see above and whilst it worked in terms keeping the menu together, it made some of the pages shorter than others as the tape was too thick. After this I tried again using the tape at a different size, however there was still issue with pages and so I decided the better option would be to bind the pages together with a bit of thread. 


I then printed off the daily menu, this was only one double sided sheet and therefore doesn't need binding. After printing I chopped down all the sides, for a more clean look and closer to the border and realised the document had to be edited as the border where the page folds left too much of a margin. 


This time the margin was the right size and the trim around all of the other edges. This print was a success and the menu feels like a quality document. 

No comments:

Post a Comment