Thursday 8 March 2018

503 - SB1 - Tea Brand Name an Logo

"To design and develop a new, exciting and eye-catching range of at least three tins for either teas or coffees. Students will need to create a fictitious brand targeting the quality retail sector, including duty free areas at airports and the higher-end retailers such as John Lewis, Selfridges and M&S."

Before I can start properly designing the packaging I have to create a name for the brand, as the brand is targeting the premium side of hot beverages it must be meaningful, classy and sounding interesting/ non offensive. I could try to find a name that was suitable and related to the flavours I have chosen but would not like to restrict the brand this way, plus all 3 flavours are pretty different - with them being perfect for iced tea being the common connection to marry them together.

Words for tea:
  • drink
  • brew
  • pekoe - pronounced 'pee-co-'
  • refreshment
In the tea industry, tea leaf grading is the process of evaluating products based on the quality and condition of the tea leaves themselves. The highest grades are referred to as "orange pekoe", and the lowest as "fannings" or "dust". This isn't your everyday knowledge that people have on tea however if I used pekoe as a brand name, it would prompt people to google it and find out it means a high grade of tea leaves, it is not necessary for the name to obviously straight away mean tea as that will be on the label as well as the flavours; looking at some popular tea brands this isn't an issue:
  • Whittard of Chelsea
  • Clipper Tea
  • Twinings
  • Pukka
  • T2

I have decided to use a serif typeface 'Turquoise' available on typekit as a serif typeface is usually a sign of a well respected product that has been for a while, luxury and well established. To add to the logo I edited the 'o' in the word to represent a tea leaf, to give the consumer an idea of what the brand sells. 


I decided to add a tagline to the logo to give it a little something extra, with this I had to up the 'o' a little so that the text underneath fitted well. I used the typeface Dosis which is sans serif as I believed they are a good pair and compliment eachother. I also tried the logo in different colourways that could be suitable for the flavours I have chosen. 

peach and apple

green rose

strawberries and cream

After looking at these I think I will make the tagline font slighter bigger so that the ends match up with the logo itself for the packaging designs.

When it comes to designing the rest of the packaging I am going to look at other typeface options as the logo is a stand alone thing, I have observed other quality tea producers use a few different on their packaging and it works really effectively, for example:

No comments:

Post a Comment